This recipe was probably one of the first Australian recipes to use the exotic ingredient – “curry powder”! This Chow Mein didn’t really taste anything like Asian cuisine, but it was very tasty & kids loved it!
“It’s funny how a particular recipe can carry on through the years and still be enjoyed as much today as it was way back then. I can remember my Mum often used to make this dish on the Saturday nights after the cricket when the regulars from the Cricket Club would meet back at our place for a social get together. Of course this wasn’t the only dish on offer for the night as all the girls would pitch in and help..there always seemed to be such an array of casseroles etc on the table…food that would go a long way!”…. recipe submitted by Sue.
Well here it is..simple, easy & tasty
- 500g Mince Steak
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 1/4 Cabbage (sliced)
- A couple of Celery sticks (chopped)
- 1 cup Green Beans
- 1 pkt Continental Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 heaped dessertspoon Curry Powder
- 3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, brown mince & onion.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer until liquid is reduced right down…about 30-45 mins.
- Serve with boiled white rice. Have Soy Sauce on hand as a condiment.